Back to RYA courses page


Code Europ閑n des Voies de la Navigation Int閞ieure


The European Authorities including the French are checking that skippers of vessels cruising on inland waterways hold as a minimum an International Certificate of Competence (ICC) with a CEVNI endorsement.


CEVNI loosely means the Rules, or Collision Regulations, for the European Inland Waterways. These rules cover all aspects of passage, navigation, buoyage and signage used on mainland European waterways.


The CEVNI test consists of 14 multiple choice questions on the lights, shapes and sound signals on the inland waterways of Europe. There is no course associated with the test, but The RYA Book of EuroRegs for Inland Waterways by Marian Martin (publisher Adlard Coles - RRP �99) is essential reading prior to the test.

This book is available from the RYA or from boat chandlers and it is mandatory to keep a copy of this book on board whilst cruising on the European inland waterways.



a)         Must be a British citizen

b)         Should already hold an ICC certificate or other approved certificate of competence such as RYA Day Skipper (Practical) or above or RYA Power Boat Level 2 Certificate or above


Action required to attend course

a)         Contact the Club Office to place your name on the list.

b)          Produce on the evening a passport size photograph of yourself with your name printed on the back and a photocopy of your ICC or equivalent certificate


Application form for a new ICC certificate with CEVNI endorsement

This will be issued on the night for candidates to complete. The RYA fee is �.00 for issuing a new ICC certificate with the CEVNI endorsement, however it is free to fully paid up members of the RYA. You will need to produce your RYA membership card so that your number can be written on the form


Course fee: - see notice board (cheques payable to RCIYC)


Need more information? � contact Dave Allo (RCIYC Principal) on 741614

  Back to top of page